Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Mini Biography

Good morning! So I was laying in bed last night, trying to go to sleep after shooting out a bunch of emails to clients and thinking about what to blog next...and I thought why not a little about myself. A proper introduction.

Here's the lowdown on me (if you don't know already!) My name is Asim Soofi and I am a professional photographer / IT professional / jack of all trades living in Baltimore, MD. I was originally born in Pakistan many many years ago...I'm at the point where I don't mention my age unless I'm bribed or it's my passport renewal application. Okay...fine...My birthdate is December 30, 1976. Interesting fact is one of my cousins was born 1 day after me...in the same house no less. And I was actually born at home...old school! Midwife and all.

My dad originally had gone off to Norway and had been there for a few years. He came back to Pakistan, married my lovely mother, had my older sister Ayesha, and then convinced my mother Norway was going to be kick-butt so they packed up and moved. Turns out it was a tad colder then the Pakistani climate my dear mother was used to. Then there was good news...mom was pregnant with yours truly. So a few months before I was to make my official arrival, she came back to Pakistan to have me. After a few months, we went back to Norway for a few more years, welcome my younger brother Abid. Then came back to Pakistan again! However, after a short while there, we made our final destination the U.S. We arrived to the states in June 1983 to my aunt's home in Triadelphia, West Virginia.

Fast forward to recent years. After moving from WV to California, PA, (yes, there's a town called California in PA --- one hour from Pittsburgh), then moving to Queens, NY (the last brother sibling Aamir was born here), my parents made the final decision to buy their first home in Fort Washington, Maryland. Fast forward again a few years, we arrived in Baltimore, MD in 1989. It's been home ever since.

I later graduated from University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) with a B.S. in IT. I've been into photography for over 15 years now, but decided to pursue it professionally about 3 years back. It's been awesome ride ever since and I'm catching up on lost time.

I shoot primarily Indian weddings, Pakistani weddings, and American weddings. I'm looking forward to other cultural ceremonies as well, such as Chinese weddings and other cool and different ceremonies. Each one is unique in its own way and it's always a great way to learn about other cultures and how they do things. That's one of the things I love about shooting weddings in general. You get to meet such diverse people and share so many experiences with them in one of the most important days of their life. Pretty awesome IMO.

I've met some great couples and have had the best of times. It does get very hectic and stressful at times, but the end results make it worthwhile.

Hope you enjoyed my little history. Let me know if you'd like to know anything else about me.

/asim

2 comments:

Armin DeFiesta said...

Great post Asim =)

Anonymous said...

You moved about the same number of times I did!! I lived in 3 continents too :)