Friday, November 13, 2009

The Chain Photo Studio Experiment

If you followed my updates on Twitter/Facebook on 11/13, you heard the play by play. Here are the end results just for you!

OBJECTIVE:
To experience the value and quality of service consumers receive when using chain type portrait studios or value-priced portrait centers.

BACKSTORY:
It began with a visit to a Starbucks for coffee. Located next door was a portrait studio with hordes of families going in and out wearing matching outfits. As a photographer, you're always curious when you see a place with words like 'portrait' or 'photography' and you always investigate. I was intrigued by a huge sale sign in the window for $9.95 portraits with like 35 something prints. I thought, wow, what a bargain! So for the sake of education and to get the inside scoop on what you actually get, I went in and decided to get a session.

Turns out the special was applicable only to a family with kids and not a poor single guy like me. I did think about borrowing one of the loud screaming children to get the deal, but squashed that idea quickly. Instead, they told me I could have as many poses as I wanted for $15. I thought, that sounds pretty good. Let's do it.

I needed a holiday looking outfit so I had an hour before my appointment to run to a department store. I was fortunate enough to find the beautiful red sweater you see in the photos.

GUIDELINE STANDARDS:
-Pretend to be ignorant of photography and any methods.
-Follow all instructions of 'employee/shooter' (i can't in good faith refer to them as photographers due to lack of evidence at this time)
-Do all poses the 'shooter' requests without objection or reservation
-Comment to shooter "Wow, that's a big camera!"
-Tell shooter at another point during the shoot "That camera must take great photos!"
-Agree enthusiastically to every 'pro' opinion when reviewing horrible shots, i.e. Shooter: "Oh, you look great!" Undercover Agent: "Aww..Thanks!!"
-Last but not least, smile like a cheese-ball the entire time

RESULTS:
You can see all the photo results at the following link http://bit.ly/4BBcn4. You may have to add me on Facebook in order to view the album. I don't want these photos floating around just anywhere!

CONCLUSION:
So what do you get for not going with a professional photographer and instead with one of these chain type portrait studios? Heard the saying, "You get what you pay for?" Of course, you are more than welcome to draw your own conclusions.

TIPS:
-Resist the charm of bait-priced, uncreative photography services.
-Share the above images with family & friends for education & fun.
-If you are looking for a photographer, do an online search for photographers in your local area on Google or better yet, ask your friends & family. Referrals are sometimes the best way to find someone that is already trusted and known. Either way, check out the work and see if it really speaks to you. If the style of images will be enjoyed 50+ years from now by your family, you know you've found the right photographer.

DONATE & HELP A CHARITY!
If you're really cool and want to help, you can win an autographed print from this AWESOME portrait session. Donate $10 bucks and you'll get signed photo with a special holiday message in either a wallet, a 4x6, a 5x7, or a 8x10 mailed to you. If you learned something from this ultra valuable experience or you just found this very entertaining, you can still show your luv $1.00 and $5.00 donations.

Proceeds will be donated to one of the 4 charities I support (visit my website and click on the CHARITY link to see the full list)

2 comments:

Rich said...

You're my hero :)

Unknown said...

Now, not all places are bad. I work at one of these types of places. Some of the "photographers" or shooters as you call them are bad and some are good. But if your looking to spend 9.95 then you got what you were looking for. I tell you what when I started there and now today it still blows my mind now much is spent there and if I had one tenth of there traffic I would be a well off photographer but the simple truth is people know what there getting there and don't mind for the most part.

I do outside and in home work at good prices while my work might not be the best it is no where close to bad. Just think what could happen if some great photographers started a mall or some type of chain. Would people want to pay what you would charge? or would they take the lesser 9.95 deal and be happy?